Friday, April 16, 2010

From Volcanoes to Ricefields

We are here in Ubud and have decided this is our favourite place so far. It is artsy and quiet and seems to really let the culture of Bali shine. Lots of really yummy restaurants and places to look at textiles and jewelry.

I can hear Cadence and Jeff in the pool and Sheppy is sleeping in the bed next to me. Its a lovely sunny day and I am resting my very sore muscles. Yesterday was such an adventure. We loaded on the bug spray and sun screen and went on a days adventure to a coffee plantation, the Burong Lake and main volcano on the island and rented bikes to go through the villages and rice fields.

The restaurant we ate at overlooked the volcano. It was sooo beautiful up there. Even on the drive up I could feel the difference in altitude. But the mild wooziness was worth the stunning view.

Next, we got on our bikes (kids to the back) and headed off to see the countryside. As we wizzed through villages and suburbs, little kids would run out to try and give us a high-five. I was lucky just to keep my balance with Sheppy on the back, so I could only offer a quick, "hello". I wish I could have rode and videotaped at the same time. It was soooo incredible to see Bali by bike. I am also glad I worked out some before coming because it was incredibly challenging at times.

We were in awe for the 4 hours we biked, having many moments of, "we are biking through the Balinese rice fields...seriously??" Towards the last leg, we approached the last hill and i just....couldn't..... make it........ When I got off to push up the hill Cadsy made sure to remind me, Mom, I don't think this is how your supposed to ride a bike. Little stinker.

When I made it up, our guide congratulated me. Super Mom, he said, you just hit the 45 km mark. Yes. SUPER MOM indeed. :-) Now you understand why I have sore muscles today.

What a day. Lots of time to reflect on our journey so far. Lots of moments to be thankful. Thankful for safety and health and opportunity. I catch myself worrying a lot here. Making sure the kids are okay- but it is moments like this that I see we are not just in HIS hands, we are riding in his palm.

No comments:

Post a Comment