Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day at the beach







We spent the day at the beach in Dreamland yesterday, one of those places where the postcards come from. It was incredible, and I have the lightly burned shoulders to prove it. We made a balinese temple sandcastle and a princess Ariel sculpture, were entertained by a small hermit crab and played in the surf. We have a hilarious video of the kids in the surf, I try and post it once we get a more reliable internet connection. I have not yet gained the nerve to try surfing, between my mediocre swimming skills and the barnacles and tentacles awaiting me below, I'm not sure yet that I will. But I'd like to think I could.

Lindsay bought me a Balinese architecture book a few months before we left, and I contacted a few of the Architects that were featured in its pages. Last night I connected with one who was kind enough to show me a few of his projects. (his home is the modern beauty shown above) Incredible and inspiring, though a little too tempting for a summer job...

We went to Church in the capital city, we were expecting a small quaint gathering... instead found ourselves in the middle of a 1000 person church! We were the only 'tourists' that we saw, but thankfully the speaker was a pastor from Florida, or we wouldn't have understood a thing! Very Fun.

'Stop Makan Yuuuk!' We found this quite humorous as the name for a restaurant, but had an incredibly difficult time explaining this humor to Wayan, our driver.

We're all adapting to the heat pretty well, though I biked to the store to get some baking (less than a kilometer round trip) and I looked as though I had come through a monsoon on arriving home! On the plus side, between what the dietary changes do to your digestive system and the heat I look forward to burning off my Candian winter hibernation weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment