Sunday, April 25, 2010

Twirling, Zoos and Beautiful Black Jewels






I walked in on a dance class going on in our living room. Lulu was teaching Papa the basic dances (a mixture of her favourites, she explains) that we all must learn. There is spinning, jumping, twirling and even some somersaults. Lulu gives the example, Papa promptly repeats.
Sheppy and I decided to join in the fun. However, we learned, there are levels to this game. I was awarded a sticker after my first rendition- showing it off to Papa he put me in my place by displaying his "four stickered" shoulder. A level four... wow. Sheppy was content to watch. Enough of this Balinese/ Canadian madness... it's time to brush our teeth.

We went to the Bali Safari Park today. A mix of Indonesian, African and Indian animals. The kids were ecstatic to feed the elephants. It was a little unnerving for me to have these powerful beasts grabbing carrots out of our hands and rubbing their long trunks on us to ask for more. There was much walking and picture taking and a lovely little trolley ride around the park in which you could get a closer look at the animals.

We were all the way over to the East coast and so I asked the driver to pull over at the ocean so that I could see the black sand I had read about. Bali has black, white and regular colored sand depending on where you are.

Andy our driver walked me through a little fishing hub complete with the latest catch swimming in what can only be described as the "sludge of the seas" ice bins. There was everything, large to small. I don't think many tourists ever come there and so they watched me closely and some even held up their prized sea treasures for my viewing and smelling pleasure. I don't think I will eat seafood for a while.

The sand was like black jewels. Pure delight. Jeff laughed when I carried a handful all the way back to the car so that they too could also see the beauty.

The sun has set. There are now bed time stories and cuddles to be had. Bali holds another day for us tomorrow...

Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment